Conference Bursaries for Students
The Society offers bursaries for bona fide students to assist them in meeting the financial costs of attending the Society’s own and relevant other conferences, up to a maximum of one per student per calendar year. This note outlines the conditions under which they are offered. Bursaries are awarded at the discretion of the treasurer, and the budget for bursaries is limited, so please enquire early.
Number and Value of Bursaries
- A maximum of five student bursaries is offered for each conference.
- The maximum value of the bursary is £200 for conferences taking place in the student's country of residence and £320 for conferences involving international travel.
- Up to two thirds of the costs involved in attending the conference will be covered (up to a maximum of £200/£320).
Eligibility of Students
- Students must be registered for a higher degree in an appropriate subject at a university or institute of higher education.
- At the time of attendance at the Conference, students must be student members of the Society.
- Preference is given to:
- presenters at conferences sponsored by the Society,
- long-time members of the society over new members,
- student members who have not been awarded a bursary before.
- Bursary recipients may be asked to write a conference report for the SSHM Gazette.
Eligibility of Conferences
- Bursaries are awarded for attendance at conferences that are wholly or partly run by the Society, or where there is a strong history of medicine element at the discretion of the treasurer.
- Bursaries are available for attendance at such conferences both at home and overseas. The amount of funding is at the discretion of the Treasurer.
Arrangements for Obtaining a Bursary
- Requests for bursaries should be submitted prior to the conference to the Society’s Treasurer. Please enquire early.
- Applicants should send or e-mail the Treasurer a note of their expected costs, i.e. conference fee, accommodation, travel, etc.
- Applicants should ask their supervisor to send or e-mail the Treasurer confirming their student status and that the applicant would benefit from attending the particular conference.
- Confirmation of the award of a Bursary will be made once this process has been completed. Cheques or bank transfers will be initiated once confirmation of attendance has been obtained or the conference report received.